Rutherfurd Hall History
Rutherfurd Hall, both a National and New Jersey State Historic Landmark, was designed between 1903-1905 by famed New York architect Whitney Warren. (Warren’s firm, Warren and Wetmore, shortly thereafter won a competition to design Grand Central Terminal in New York City.) Warren’s work resulted in a 18,000 square foot Tudor style summer home for his clients, recently married Winthrop (1862-1944) and Alice (Morton) Rutherfurd (1879-1917). The original landscape design was created by the Olmsted Brothers, sons of Frederick Law Olmsted.
The presence of the Rutherfurd family in this area of New Jersey dates back to the mid-eighteenth century with the marriage of Walter Rutherfurd to Catherine Alexander Parker. Since that time the estate has passed generationally from father to children. The land holdings of the Rutherfurd family were greatly expanded around the turn of the 20th century by both Winthrop and his older brother, Rutherfurd Stuyvesant. By 1906 Winthrop’s Allamuchy Farms and Rutherfurd Stuyvesant’s Tranquillity Farms encompassed more than 6,000 acres in both Sussex and Warren counties. Guests to the estates have included titans of industry, a U.S. President, a former Vice President and European royalty.
Through ongoing preservation and conservation at Rutherfurd Hall we have the means to tell many meaningful historical stories about citizens of New Jersey and their associates in the first half of the 20th century.